The Wine & Spirit Trust (WSET) Level 3 Certification Course (formerly the Advanced course) is more demanding than the WSET Level 2 Certification Course. This qualification is open to students who hold the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits or can demonstrate the equivalent level of knowledge. It is recommended that students complete the Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits before progressing to the Level 3 Award. (Please note: The WSET Level 3 Award is a prerequisite to study for the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines & Spirits. Any student planning to study for the WSET Diploma must pass the WSET Level 3 exam before registering for the Diploma program.)
The WSET Level 3 Certification Course is taught over 10 weeks, with an exam in week 11. The aim of the course is to provide detailed analysis of the principal wines of the world. Students will also benefit from in-depth tastings where they will learn to identify product style and quality. Emphasis is given to tasting assessment skills. Course content includes the following:
Unit 1 – Wines of the World
- Production of Wine (location, viticulture, vinification, maturation, and bottling)
- France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Central and South Eastern Europe, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand, North America, South and Central America
- Still Wines
- Sparkling Wines
- Fortified (Liqueur) Wines
- This unit is evaluated by a multiple-choice paper of 50 questions and a question paper requiring short written answers.
Unit 2 – Tasting and Evaluating Wines of the World
- How to taste wines and evaluate the quality, style and price.
- Students will learn to write tasting notes by tasting and assessing 8-10 wines during each class.
- This unit is assessed by a blind tasting paper of two wines.
The exam consists of a multiple-choice paper of 50 questions, a question paper requiring short written answers, and full written tasting notes on two wines. Those who pass the exam receive the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines, an internationally recognized credential in the wine industry.
Capital Wine School does offer an occasional Intensive course for the WSET Level 3. Effective August 1, 2016, the Capital Wine School no longer offers a Home Study Course for WSET Level 3.
Click here to download a PDF of the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Specification.
For more information about the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines, please visit https://www.wsetglobal.com/qualifications/wset-level-3-award-in-wines/.