The Italian Wine Professional (IWP) is a training and certification program designed to help students of wine become comfortable with the complex world of Italian wine. It was created by the Italian Wine Central specifically to give those who have experience with wine but have not dealt much with Italian wine—and even those who are quite familiar with certain categories of Italian wine but want to broaden their scope to less familiar territory—the confidence needed to discuss, sell, and buy Italian wine.
This program is geared toward those who work in retail, restaurant, import, and distribution roles, but is also ideal for wine writers, educators, and avid connoisseurs who wish to increase their knowledge of Italian wine. Anyone who likes Italian wine but wants some help in understanding Italian wine labels, expanding their horizons in choosing wines on a wine list, or appreciating the differences between the myriad Italian wine styles can enjoy and benefit from the IWP course.
The Italian Wine Professional is a ten-week program, consisting of nine educational sessions and tastings followed by an exam. The first eight sessions are interactive presentations organized by wine style—which is the way most people buy and sell Italian wines. The material is comprehensive, and seminars are delivered at a fast pace, requiring a commitment to learning on the part of the student. Successful candidates earn the IWP credential.
The sessions will cover the following themes and will include wine tastings to illustrate the wines being discussed in that unit:
- Unit 1: Introduction to Italy and Italian Wines
- Unit 2: Northern Italian Reds
- Unit 3: Central Italian Reds
- Unit 4: Southern Italian Reds
- Unit 5: Whites of the Coasts and Islands
- Unit 6: Whites of the Mountains and Interior
- Unit 7: Sparkling Wines, Dessert Wines, & Spirits
- Unit 8: Luxury Wines
- Unit 9: Class Presentations
- Unit 10: Exam
Throughout, students will be exposed to:
- Italy’s geography, history, and climate
- Italy’s major grape varieties and their main growing regions
- Italian wine labeling conventions and how they fit into EU law
In addition, interactive exercises will features discussions on:
- Wine & food pairing
- Strategies for presenting and selling Italian wines to restaurant and retail establishments
- Approaches for creating compelling wine lists that showcase Italian wine
- Basic pronunciation of Italian words and some key terms
For more information go to: http://italianwinecentral.com/italian-wine-professional-certification/